Friday, September 12, 2014

My Reading Journey (Nur Fadilah)

I was not really a book-lover during my childhood days. Unlike most kids who were studious and enjoyed reading, I spent most of my time playing netball for the school team and entering dance competitions with my friends. Those were my burning passion. However, my Primary school had this annual project every school holiday. We were tasked to write a summary and a reflection of four books borrowed from the National Library. Students who did not comply would face harsh consequences. Hence, I had no choice but to comply because those consequences were unpleasant. I did not want to spend after-school time cleaning the library. So, during one of my library visits, I found a book titled Babysitter’s Club. Reading the first few pages, I was immediately drawn to the book. My favourite character in the book was Stacey. I found her to be an interesting and complex character, as she grappled with relationship and family problems. Those issues made her character stand out from the rest of the characters, which grabbed my attention. As I continued to read, my love for reading was inculcated. I found myself wanting to read about such characters like Stacey from other books.

During my teenage years, I discovered books which explored personal experiences and confessions. The two books which I remember fondly were Memoirs of a Geisha and Chinese Cinderella: Confessions of an Unwanted Daughter. They shaped my perspectives in life and provided answers to my teenage curiosity. I can vividly recall a scene in the book Memoirs of a Geisha that made me tear for the first time. In that scene, the main character Sayuri received a letter from her village stating that her parents had passed away. That scene left such a lasting impression on me as it deepened my understanding on personal loss and sacrifice.

I have a soft spot for romantic novels, especially novels written by Nicholas Sparks. His style of writing and development of his characters made his novels come alive, which appealed to my senses. Some of my favourites written by him were At First Sight, True Believer and The Wedding. These novels explored the notions of love and relationships, and it gave me joy when the characters found happiness in the concluding chapters.

When I was an NTU undergraduate, I was exposed to quality literature of various genres and periods. This exposure developed my maturity and intellectual capacity as a student of Literature. It was here where I realised my interest in eighteenth century texts such as Pamela, Moll Flanders and Fanny Hill. I was drawn to the rich cultural context, such as their language and norms as well as their beliefs. Some of the texts that I enjoyed reading from other periods and genres were Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marques.

In this present day, my interest is geared towards Islamic Theology. My current read is a book titled The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife. It is the first translation of a key section of al-Ghazali’s Revival of the Religious Sciences, widely regarded as the greatest work of Muslim spirituality. I read to gain knowledge and wisdom, to seek answers which leads me to the truth. Hence, I conclude with these words:

“Read! In the name of your Lord.” (Quran, 96:1)


That was the first divine commandment given to Prophet Muhammad, may peace be upon him, who was ‘illiterate’. This verse serves as my personal guidance in my quest for knowledge through the act of reading. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Fadilah for sharing the power of reading and its link to knowledge and power. In teaching our students to read, we are in effect providing them with some form of knowledge and power over their own lives, and that of others as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela! That's one of my favorite text in my undergraduate days although many classmates disagreed with me on that. They simply found her pretentious and self-aggrandizing and our class was split into the Pamelist and Anti-Pamelist camp with more on the Anti side. I was a loyal Pamelist who stuck with her no many how many times I read the text.

    Thanks for the share Fadilah!

    --Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babysitter’s Club!!! Classic.

    I am not inclined toward 18th century texts, but I did enjoy Pamela too! She's such a funny and amusing character. I remember prof Samara being so excited over teaching Pamela.

    I keep that quote in mind too when I get too busy. Basically ALL of our actions boil down to our intentions, even the act of reading, or teaching students to read. I have Al-Ghazali's Alchemy of Happiness if you wanna read!

    ReplyDelete