My love for reading started with frequent trips to the nearby Jurong East library with my family. I was 7 years old, I think, and enjoyed going to the children’s section, which back then had an open carpeted space surrounded with low bookshelves. My parents were (are) overprotective and stories are a form of escape and adventure for me as I explore different viewpoints and worlds. The first author I enjoyed reading was Enid Blyton. Her various short tales were interesting and all I can remember is how much I enjoyed reading about the different weird characters and whatever adventures they had. At the library, I borrowed the maximum number of books the library allowed, and had a competition of sorts with how many books I can read in a set time (I think it was 4 books in 2 days).
Then I had an R.L. Stine phase where I devoured his books almost every day. Each trip to the bookstore will warrant an R.L. Stine purchase. I discovered Borders at 13 years old after winning a Borders book voucher, and had a lot of fun exploring the different kinds of books. I wasn’t a particular wide reader then, and would stick to 'safe' books like chick lit, or Captain Underpants.
In secondary school, I took Literature during Lower Secondary, and thoroughly enjoyed reading Minfong Ho’s The Clay Marble, a sentiment not shared with most of my classmates. I enjoyed reading about the main character’s struggles, and how the clay marble itself is a symbolism of her character. At that point of time, I was in such awe of how much power words have, and how it can convey all the incoherent thoughts and feelings that I have.
Unfortunately, there was not enough demand for Literature in my secondary school (even back in 2005, sigh), and I did not take Literature in Upper Secondary even though I desperately wanted to. I read leisurely for the next 2 years, reading chick lit, and random books based on TV series or movies.
When I entered Junior College, the only subject that I knew I definitely wanted to study was Literature. We did R.K Narayan’s The Guide, Shakespeare’s The Tempest, Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, and Margaret Atwood’s Handmaid’s Tale. Studying Brave New World and Handmaid’s Tale definitely ignited my love for dystopian literature, and I started to read more dystopian literature such as A Clockwork Orange and 1984. I absolutely love 1984 because sometimes it reminds me of this small island that I’m residing in.
My choice of reading material was opened up in university. As a freshmen, Chaucer and Robert Frost were foreign to me (or maybe I just didn’t pay that much attention in JC). I was forced to read up to 5 novels/texts a week, and to me, that slightly killed my love for reading (and led to my discovery of Sparknotes). While I still loved some of the texts that we studied, reading for leisure only existed during vacation. However, university life led me to Natsume Soseki’s Kokoro, which blew my mind because of the ideas it explores, such as the role of a teacher, and the relationship between memory and time. I recently read Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go and realised that I like the simplicity of Japanese authors. I’d love to explore Haruki Murakami next.
My belief in the power of words is also present in The Book Thief, another book I fell in love with. The movie was nice, but the book is definitely better. The books are always better. (: I started taking some Philosophy modules (Moral Philosophy, The Struggle for Human Rights, Philosophy and Film) in my third and fourth year of university, and while they gave me a headache, I found them extremely interesting. Then I read Sophie’s World and had my mind blown. I’d highly recommend this book to those who love Literature and Philosophy.
After university, I remember talking to my friend about how much we miss Literature, and we hope to never lose the love for intellectual discourse, because that was one of the things university has taught us. As of right now, my current reads outside NIE’s texts have been the Divergent series (I prefer The Hunger Games series). YA texts are my go-to texts when I want an easy read. Having done my Graduation Essay on Alfian Sa'at, I have also realised that I need to explore more local literature.
My hope is to instil the love for literature and the written word in my students, and open up their minds just like how mine was opened up. I hope to never lose this enthusiasm.
I read Never Let Me Go in University as well and I was amazed by how much discussion there could be in class about the book - ranging from what kind of genre it falls into and what kind of different kinds of levels the book can be understood (from the surface "coming-of-age novel" level, to the philosophical arguments about genetic research, and even the book as meta-fiction. All that occurred on the simple page, with simple words, and a (relatively) simple concept! I agree with Sophie's World as a great read too, as it successfully merges philosophical theory with a narrative that makes those theories highly engaging and accessible.
ReplyDeleteThe school I was in for Secondary level had a lack of Upper Secondary literature teachers, and an equally lacking number of students willing to take literature at the Upper Secondary level too (I was an ambitious kid who wanted to do triple humanities. That didn't happen, which may have been a blessing in disguise). I guess we can only keep working at it and hope that we'll be able to bring Literature to more and more students in the future! :)
Yes to all that you said! Never Let Me Go and Sophie's World are such great reads.
DeleteAnd, I want to be that annoying teacher who will push my students to take literature because literature shouldn't be a dying subject! Would triple humanities be far too much content as compared to triple sciences though? Seems like a lot of readings!
Hi Amira, it is a pity that upper sec lit is not always offered at schools. Glad you managed to get back on track in JC with Literature. I've got Divergent on my ipad but have not had enough motivation to start on it yet!
ReplyDeleteThe Divergent movie follows the book quite closely, so you can watch it first if you wanna get motivated :D
DeleteAmira! If you are keen on starting on Haruki Murakami, I wouldn't mind loaning some of my books to you! Good works must be shared, heh. :D
ReplyDelete(That is, if you can actually find time now, heh...)
But I'm pretty much the other way round in exploring Japanese authors. I started with Murakami before exploring Natsume Soseki (I love Kokoro too!) and , yes, Kazuo Ishiguro as well. I want to start on the other works of Soseki soon!
No time nowww :( boo. But I downloaded Kafka on the Shore on my Kindle! Will steal time to read it, maybe during the one week break.
DeleteDid you read Kokoro in NTU too? I have Soseki's I Am A Cat e-book if you want!
You were not the only one who said the undergraduate reading experience killed the love for reading. Many of my classmates said the same. They had to read so quickly they felt they couldn't enjoy the book.
ReplyDeleteGlad that you did your graduation essay on Alfian Sa'at. Which of his texts did you write on? I found his Malay Sketches and Cook a Pot of Curry very engaging texts!
I think it's a sentiment shared by many Lit majors :/
DeleteI did it on his play sex.violence.blood.gore, and a few poems from his first collection of poetry, One Fierce Hour, which I've been trying to find a physical copy of but it seems that it's not in production anymore. My essay was an exploration of Malay identity in his works. (: I've yet to read Cook a Pot of Curry! Will add that on my to-read list (: