YA Novel: Divergent by Veronica Roth
There are apparently 5 factions in the
post-apocalyptic world of the Divergent text – Dauntless, Abnegation, Erudite,
Candor, and Amity – and each faction performs a different function in terms of
contributing to that society. The story is about how the protagonist, Beatrice
Prior, decides to move from her home faction to another faction, and her role
in thwarting a political conspiracy that pits the factions against each other.
Based on Brumfit and Carter’s list of criteria
regarding the selection of texts to be used in an English Language or
Literature classroom, portions of this text could be included if students
choose this text because they are personally interested in it. I would probably
conduct a poll at the beginning of the term listing possible texts to be used
in class and get them to give their opinions. Brumfit suggests that texts
selected should engage readers both cognitively and affectively, and this text
might be light and entertaining enough to serve as an introduction or beginning
text. Brumfit also suggests that visual arts might be used as warm-up or
follow-up activities to the text itself, and the relatively recent adaptation
of the book into a movie might provide more resources to be used when introducing
the text to the classroom.
MOE recommended text: Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
I read this text in Secondary school, but I don’t have
good memories of the text or being forced to read it so I dug it out from my
bookshelf and re-read it. The book is about the lives of 4 Chinese women who
have immigrated to the USA and their 4 American-born daughters. They meet in
church and gather to play mahjong, calling their group the Joy Luck Club.
I personally didn’t enjoy this text but I would
probably look at the profile of my class before deciding if I’m including it as
one of my lit texts. According to Brumfit's criteria, this text might be considered suitable in terms of linguistic level, cultural and social appropriateness, length of text, and contributions towards activating and exercising the imagination. However, I would probably choose extracts or one of the self-contained stories within the text rather than teaching the entire book.
Other book: Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
I don’t usually read graphic novels but after reading
Alan Moore’s Watchmen and V for Vendetta, I checked Google to see if he had
other works available. Batman’s nemesis, the Joker tries to turn the Police
Commissioner Gordon insane by making him experience emotional and physical
trauma in order to force him to give up his moral code. The novel also looks at
the Joker’s origins and the circumstances that turned him into the Joker.
I think graphic novels would be a great addition to
the texts used in a Lit classroom – they are generally popular amongst students
especially at the lower secondary level, and are more engaging or accessible.
Considering how increasing emphasis has been placed on 21st century
literacies, using such texts might help students to improve on their critical
literacy skills in the Lit classroom. Batman is also a fairly iconic superhero
and most students would be aware of this character and what his background is. Using
Alan Moore’s graphic novel could be useful in terms of teaching students how to
contextualize a derivative text within the sphere of the Batman universe.
Hi Danna, thanks for bringing up Brumfit and Carter and the idea that we need to consider both affective and cognitive reasons for choosing a text for the Literature classroom. Conducting a poll is a good idea for a smaller class - I did it for my Upper Sec class of 15 once - though it might be possible to try at school level.
ReplyDelete