The following
information will be my reference on how I evaluate the effectiveness of the
three books I have chosen as secondary school literature texts:
“The study of literature encourages students
to enter imagined worlds and explore, examine and reflect on both current and
timeless issues, as well as their individuality and humanity” (MOE teaching
Syllabus, 2013).
If I were
given a chance, I would include Twilight by Stephanie Meyer as a literature
text for my secondary school students. The last time I read Twilight was when I
was 17. And I read it three times consecutively (I kind of liked it). For the
sake of the assignment, I read it again recently and of course, with the
now-more-mature-me, I reflect upon the book differently.
As a
literature text, Twilight offers my students ample room to explore plot,
character, setting & atmosphere, theme and style in the book which is the
five key areas of study according to the MOE Teaching Syllabus 2013. Twilight
explores not just the theme of love and desire but also of sacrifice, beauty
and most importantly, the theme of family. Interestingly, the three families
portrayed in the book are not nuclear families. For instance, Bella, the book’s
protagonist comes from a family where her parents are divorced and her mother
remarried to another man. Bella thus have to move from the sunny Phoenix,
Arizona to the rainy Forks, Washington to live with her father as her mother
has to travel to places with her new husband, a basketball player. The
relationship dynamics between this daughter and father is one of the potential
domains that students can explore and examine in the book in order to have a
critical understanding on the notion of families and relationships.
Through this book, students will also get to
enter the imagined worlds of vampires and werewolves and through these worlds, widen
their imagination and thoughts as well as stimulate their thinking about
humanity, beliefs and cultures. However, I do not discount the possibility of
shallow reading of the book because of the ways society and media have sensationalised
the Twilight movie and its actors such as Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner.
Therefore, if Twilight is to be taught as a literature text, teacher has to
ensure that students take a more serious stance towards the book and approach
the book as an academic student of literature and not a casual reader.
The next book
is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. This is an MOE recommended
text and is already being taught in schools. The boy in the Striped Pyjamas is
a fictional story of a friendship between Bruno, the son of a Nazi commandant
and a Jewish concentration camp inmate, Shmuel.
I remember the first few days of my contract
teaching experience where I was tasked to co-teach this text together with
another experienced teacher to the secondary two Express classes. The teacher
introduced this text to the class by relating to them her real-life experiences
visiting the Auschwitz concentration camps during one of her holiday trips. It
was just a couple of simple stories shared but the effect that these stories
had on the students, I would say from the reading of their faces and gestures,
incredible.
From there, I
realised an essential factor that I should consider, amongst everything else,
when I choose texts to be taught to my students. The text I choose has to
provide for the students a reality they cannot buy from their Science or Math
classes and in which they are personally interested in. In this case, it is the
reality of the holocaust. They have perhaps seen or heard of the holocaust in
their history classes or TV programs and documentaries or newspaper articles
and historical exhibitions. However, through this book, these students are able
to get into the narratives of holocaust and explore the various perspectives of
the characters involved. By reading through the lenses of Bruno, the
protagonist and narrator of the story, the book is able to develop in students
a sense of empathy for the victims in the story and a questioning mind about
issues such as humanity, ethical and moral values, the good and the evil as well
as to educate students on history of the holocaust and most importantly, the
world outside of Singapore.
The third
book is The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. I first read this book when I was in
secondary four at the recommendation of my literature teacher. The Alchemist
follows a young and adventurous Andalusian shepherd named Santiago in his
determined journey to Egypt after having a recurring of finding a treasure at
the foot of the Egyptian Pyramid. The book offers ample room for the study of
symbols and philosophical themes such as the necessity of personal legends,
spirituality and nature as well as the danger of fear.
Personally, I find the
book particularly meaningful and aesthetically beautiful and there is no doubt
about how Coelho’s storytelling, his language and imagination can capture the
readers’ minds. For a literature text to be taught to secondary school
students, The Alchemist might pose as a challenge for these students to
comprehend and analysis because of its supernatural and philosophical in nature.
Rather than a compulsory text, the book could be used as a part of an unseen
exercise with the class to expose them to the genre of fable or simply as a
motivational piece to be shared with the class.



Thanks for sharing the story about personal experiences, Fadilah. It certainly is important that the books students read are personally meaningful, and it is through the stories shared that they can make connections between the text and their worlds.
ReplyDelete